For some reason it seems many people are not reaching their full potential. Why is that? Find out how you are Holding Yourself Back, how to break free of being a saboteur, and get the life that you really want!
Originally, when I was creating my consulting program, I had this fantasy:
I would sit my clients down, we would work on their time, money, niche, sales and marketing, website and social media, product creation, publications, and, Voilà, they would be happy and successful and live happily ever after.
I was forgetting one essential factor.
The Self Saboteur
Now, after working with my clients, and watching these talented people stop their own progress, it became very apparent that this was the most important topic to address!!
You can have the right skills and all of the right information… you can make great progress; but NOT if old behaviors are getting in your way! Look through this list and check to see if any of these behaviors are getting in your way:
- I talk myself out of trying new things.
- I am overly concerned of what others think about me.
- I get frustrated when things do not go exactly as planned.
- I am constantly irritated by other people’s behaviors.
- I am afraid of failure.
- I have negative self-talk.
- I put other people’s needs ahead of my own.
- I do not feel appreciated by others.
- I struggle with asking anyone else for help and delegating
- I feel best when I think I have full control of a situation.
- If something needs to be done, I do it myself.
- It is hard for me to finish a task or goal once I have started.
- I have a difficult time asking for what I want.
- It is difficult for me to communicate with others.
- I avoid situations that involve conflict or conflict resolution.
- I am continually talking about other people and how they live
- I have a tendency to focus on the negative.
- I have a problem with setting realistic expectations or goals.
- I often put down myself or others.
- It is hard for me to be direct with others.
- I have a tendency to be very emotional.
- I take what others do or say very personally.
- I do not trust other people.
- I get angry when other people approach me with a conflict.
Stop Holding Yourself Back
1. Look at your list of behaviors above that you checked as self-limiting behaviors.
2. Write another list of how this is stopping you from achieving your Real Goals (Ex: I do not trust other people… If I do not trust others, I can never hand off work, and I will always be overworked and stressed out.)
3. Write a list of new behaviors you would rather have and WHY you should implement them!
P.S. If your behavior is not to finish things – DO THIS EXERCISE NOW!!
P.P.S. If you are more of a visual learner, you will want to check out my free video course on this area. And, then you can Stop Stopping yourself and get out of your own way ;)!
Last thought of the day?
If you checked more than five of the above, I would highly recommend working with a coach. You can experience much greater success by working with another person that really believes in you and who pushes you forward when your instinct is to shrink back.